What to Expect
- When you arrive at the legal service for your appointment, you will be asked to take a seat in the waiting room until your name is called by one of the Legal Service's students. Although the students will make every effort to see you at your scheduled interview time, it is not always possible to predict how long interviews will take, so please be patient if the interviews before yours run over time.
- A student will interview you and gather all the relevant facts about your legal matter. Please bring any relevant documents and information with you to this interview. This will assist the student in gathering all the relevant information and will greatly increase the efficiency with which any necessary work can be done.
- The student will then leave the room to discuss your case with the supervising solicitor. Together, they will consider the appropriate law and action to be taken.
- The student will then return and advise you on your legal position and how the problem should be handled in future, including the need for any future appointments.
- The student will also perform any necessary follow-up work in relation to your case.
Please be advised that although Monash-Oakleigh Legal Service is a free Community Legal Centre, the conduct of your case may involve expenses. For example, bringing a court action will usually involve paying filing fees, and court appearances will often involve briefing a barrister whose fees must be paid. If you do not qualify for Legal Aid, you will have to meet these expenses yourself.