Flemington & Kensington Community Legal Centre
SubmissionsFrom time to time FKCLC submits to government and industry inquiries and consultations. We will post them here as they become available.
Insurance Council of Australia’s review of the General Insurance Code of Practice
In July 2009, PILCH and the Flemington Kensington Community Legal Centre made a joint submission to the Insurance Council of Australia’s review of the General Insurance Code of Practice. The submission makes recommendations for reform of the Code so as to better address third party disputes, and recommended that the Code be amended by:
- Expanding on those provisions which are applicable to, or enforceable by, third parties
- The itemisation of specific factors which would require an insurer to consider alternative repayment terms, and debt waiver in particular circumstances
- Improved training of advisors and collection agents to ensure adherence to the ACCC and ASIC ‘Debt Collection Guidelines: for Collectors and Creditors’
- Amendment of Code 3.12 so that an inability to pay, or a dispute as to liability or quantum, will be considered a failure to reach a repayment agreement and trigger the provision of information requirements
- Amendment of Code 3.12 so that an insurer must provide information about Victorian Legal Aid and community legal centres in the case of unresolved disputes.