Flemington & Kensington Community Legal Centre
As a part of our work for clients and the community we often make submit to government and industry inquiries and consultations. All of our submissions are based upon, informed by or draw directly from the experiences of our clients.
Victoria Police Inquiry into Field Contacts and Cross-Cultural Training
The Victoria Police inquiry into racial profiling represents a real hope for substantial reform and an end to racial profiling in Victoria. The 6 month Inquiry is the result of a settlement between six young men and Victoria Police as part of the Haile-Michael Federal race discrimination action.
This substantial submission was developed by Flemington Kensington Community Legal Centre, Arnold Bloch Leibler, lawyers and advisors, Jeremy Rapke QC, Emrys Nekvapil
and Phoebe Knowles and submitted on 30 July 2013.
Insurance Council of Australia’s review of the General Insurance Code of Practice
In July 2009, PILCH and the Flemington Kensington Community Legal Centre made a joint submission to the Insurance Council of Australia’s review of the General Insurance Code of Practice. The submission makes recommendations for reform of the Code so as to better address third party disputes, and recommended that the Code be amended by:
- Expanding on those provisions which are applicable to, or enforceable by, third parties
- The itemisation of specific factors which would require an insurer to consider alternative repayment terms, and debt waiver in particular circumstances
- Improved training of advisors and collection agents to ensure adherence to the ACCC and ASIC ‘Debt Collection Guidelines: for Collectors and Creditors’
- Amendment of Code 3.12 so that an inability to pay, or a dispute as to liability or quantum, will be considered a failure to reach a repayment agreement and trigger the provision of information requirements
- Amendment of Code 3.12 so that an insurer must provide information about Victorian Legal Aid and community legal centres in the case of unresolved disputes.