Mental Health Legal Centre Inc.
Community Legal Education
Information and resources
You can access information and resources about mental health law and a range of other legal issues that relate to a person's mental illness, by clicking on the topics on the left or below. This is general information only. If you are looking for advice about a specific situation or legal issue, we encourage you to speak with a lawyer. You can contact the MHLC during our telephone legal advice line.
Victoria's mental health laws and your rights as an involuntary patient under the Mental Health Act
- The Patients' rights booklet: A self-help guide to Victoria's Mental Health Act - outlines your rights as an involuntary patient (links to relevant page of our website)
- * NEW* The law gives all involuntary patients these rights (1-page flyer, pdf) (updated April 2013) - a summary of your rights as an involuntary patient under Victoria's Mental Health Act
- * NEW* Access to documents at the Mental Health Review Board (MHRB) (pdf) (updated January 2013) - outlines your right to access information before your MHRB hearing, such as your clinical file, your Treatment Plan and the Report on Involuntary Status.
- Treatment Plans for involuntary patients on a community treatment order (CTO) or involuntary treatment order (ITO) under the Mental Health Act (pdf)
- Download a presentation on mental health law (pdf) (141kb)
You can also download MHLC's flyers about other areas of law (links to relevant page of our website):
- Accessing and correcting information on your medical file, through Freedom of Information
- Changing Your Administration Order
- Confidentiality of Your Mental Health Information
- Driving and Mental Health
- How Mental Health Laws apply Between Victoria and NSW
- Liability for Contracts when You are Unwell
- Mental Health and the Criminal Justice System
If you would like us to post out hard (printed) copies of any of these flyers, please contact the Centre on Tel: 9629 4422 or 1800 555 887 (country callers) or via email: email@example.com
You can also check out the systemic advocacy work we do in the Law Reform and Policy Area of our website.
Other links and resources
You can find more information about Victoria's mental health system via the following links:
- Mental Health Tribunal - the MHT is an independent statutory tribunal set up under the Mental Health Act 2014 (Vic) (the Act) (pdf). The MHT is responsible for reviewing and hearing appeals against involuntary treatment and detention under the Act.
- Department of Health's website about Victoria's mental health services
- Office of the Chief Psychiatrist's website - the Chief Psychiatrist is responsible for the medical care and welfare of people receiving treatment or care for a mental illness in Victoria. The Chief Psychiatrist's responsibilities include monitoring the clinical standards of psychiatric practice and treatment provided by public mental health services and responding to complaints from consumers, carers and others.
Other consumer forums and events
We also host community legal education events from time to time, designed for consumers of mental health services and the broader community.
- "Compulsory psychiatric treatment - Risky business?" - Lunchtime seminar presented by Mary O'Hagan (NZ), organised by MHLC on Wednesday 8 September 2010, 1-2pm