Mental Health Legal Centre Inc.
Health Services, Legal Services, Assoicated Bodies, External publications about law
- Directory of Mental Health Services
Lists psychiatric services funded by Department of Human Services in Victoria. Can search by Suburb Name. Also browse Specialist and Statewide Services.
- Guide to Psychotropic Drugs
The Mental Health Research Institute's Information section includes a link to this document. The document is produced by the Psychotropic Drug Advisory Service. The chemist can give advise the general public on the effects of medication.
- Psychologists Registration Board
Lists registered psychologists in Victoria. Hears complaints about psychologists.
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
Registration body. Includes ethical and clinical guidelines.
- Adverse Medicine Events Line
National phone-line collecting information on unexpected effects of medication.
- Australian Adverse Drug Reactions Bulletin
This Bulletin contains information about adverse reactions associated with medication.
- Consumer Action Law Centre
Provides free legal advice and representation to people in Victoria with financial difficulties. Includes a legal advice hotline.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria
Contact Consumer Affairs Victoria to find a Financial Counsellor close to you.
- FIDO Credit Card Calculator
The FIDO credit card calculator can show you the effect of making only minimum repayments and can help you find ways to pay off your card faster.
- Debt Problems: The Law, Your Options
Booklet produced by Victorian Legal Aid to assist people who owe money.
- Financial Independence Programme
Link to fact-sheet about the State Trustees' Financial Independence Programme in Victoria.
- Fact Sheets on Social Security and Centrelink issues
Welfare Rights Unit
- Food vouchers and financial assistance - list on Moreland Community Legal Centres site
- The Insurance Law Service - is a free legal service for anyone in Australia who would like advice on insurance law or in resolving a dispute with an insurer. Their fact sheets include; Making a claim on car insurance, What can I do if my car insurance claim is refused?, I've had a car accident and I'm uninsured!, Making a claim on home and contents insurance, What can I do if my home and / or contents insurance claim is refused?, Your Insurance Report, Bushfire Insurance Guide, Flood Insurance (NEW). Their sample letters include; Can't pay my excess, Request for progress on claim after insurer's failure to reply, Regarding delayed claim, Lodging a dispute, Raising a dispute, Requesting your insurance report, Paying the debt, Requesting repayment arrangement, Request to waive debt, Insurer's failure to respond or decision to reject a hardship request, Complaint about insurer's failure to respond to hardship request, Disputing the amount claimed.
- Victoria Legal Aid
Regional Offices, Guidelines for Eligibility, Information, Publications
A Victorian Community Legal Centre that works solely on disability related legal issues.
- West Heidelberg Community Legal Service
Provides Victims of Crime Tribunal Assistance to the Banyule community.
- Darebin Community Legal Centre
Provides legal advice about crimes compensation to people who live, work or study in the Darebin region.
- Barwon Community Legal Service
Provides advice about general legal matters, welfare rights and family violence to people who live in the Barwon / Geelong region.
- The Homeless Persons' Legal Clinic
The Homeless Persons’ Legal Clinic (HPLC) is run by the Public Interest Law Clearing House (PILCH) in Victoria. The HPLC provides free legal assistance to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- Federation of Community Legal Centres
Victorian Community Legal Centres and Concerns about the Law
- Community Legal Service that specialises in Disability Discrimination Legislation
- Victims Support Agency
A central resource for victims of crime. Includes a helpline that is staffed by Victim Support Officers.
- Multiple and Complex Needs Panel
The Multiple and Complex Needs Panel (MACN Panel) is a statutory body established under the Human Services (Complex Needs) Act. The MACN Panel has the power to authorise referrals to specialist housing, health and social services.
- Legal Referral Service
The Law Institute Victoria’s legal referral service can help you locate a law firm suitable for your needs.
- Mental Health Review Board
Appeal Forms, Selected Statements of Reasons, Annual Reports that include additional decisions
- Mental Health Branch
Includes Chief Psychiatrist's Guidelines and Program Management Circulars
- VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal)
Guardianship and Administration, mediation options
- Australian Human Rights Commission
Information about Discrimination
- Dispute Resolution
Dispute Information includes tips to step through your issue, guide to dispute resolution, explanation of alternative dispute resolution
- Legal Services Commissioner
Useful publication on 'Working with your Lawyer'. Includes tips such as preparation for your first meeting, questions about the lawyers expertise, costs etc. The website is also the gateway for making a complaint about a Victorian lawyer.
- Rural Law
Rural Law Online is designed to give rural Victorians access to plain language information on areas of law which affect them. Includes a Discussion Forum where questions can be posted that lawyers respond to and information about capacity and capacity to enter a contract.
- Victoria Law
Easy to understand legal information in six different languages. Information on debt and credit matters, housing issues, traffic offences and lots of other everyday subjects
Other Agencies' Publications about Law relevant to Mental Health
- Mental Health Act
Copy of the Mental Health Act provided by the Australian Legal Information Institute.
- Disclosure in Employment
Fact-sheet produced by Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.
- Disclosure and Job Seeker Privacy
JobAccess website produced by the Australian Government.
- Attorney-General's Department
Information about disability discrimination and human rights.
- Law Institute of Victoria - Policy submissions
Link to policy submissions. Can search for submissions relevant to mental health.
- Powers of Attorney, Rehearings
Office of the Public Advocate
- Public Transport Ombudsman
The Office of the Public Transport Ombudsman deals with complaints regarding public transport in Victoria.
A plain English guide about legal issues around health and life changes. Includes information about Centrelink entitlements, health privacy, superannuation, insurance and wills.
- The Coroner’s Process: Information for Family and Friends
Publication produced by the State Coroner’s Office in Victoria.
- Family Relationships Online
Provides links to information about counselling and family dispute resolution services. Includes a Family Relationship Advice Line.
- Getting Past Your Past
A booklet produced by the North Melbourne Legal Service to assist people in understanding and moving on from criminal records.
- Legal Words
The meanings of some common legal words and terms produced by Victoria Legal Aid.