Mental Health Legal Centre Inc.
Health Services, Legal Services, Associated Bodies, External publications about law
- Directory of Mental Health Services
Lists psychiatric services funded by Department of Human Services in Victoria. Can search by Suburb Name. Also browse Specialist and Statewide Services.
- Psychology Board of Australia
Lists registered psychologists in Victoria. Hears complaints about psychologists.
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
Registration body. Includes ethical and clinical guidelines.
- Adverse Medicine Events Line
National phone-line collecting information on unexpected effects of medication.
- Databases of Adverse Event Notifications
The Database of Adverse Event Notifications (DAEN) - medicines allows you to search adverse event reports for medicines.
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
The ACCC is Australia's competition regulator and national consumer law champion.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria
Consumer Affairs Victoria is a business unit of the Department of Justice & Regulation, within the Victorian government. Their purpose is to help Victorians be responsible and informed businesses and consumers.
- FIDO Credit Card Calculator
The FIDO credit card calculator can show you the effect of making only minimum repayments and can help you find ways to pay off your card faster.
- Debt Problems: The Law, Your Options
Booklet produced by Victorian Legal Aid to assist people who owe money.
- The Insurance Law Service - is a free legal service for anyone in Australia who would like advice on insurance law or in resolving a dispute with an insurer.
- Victoria Legal Aid
Regional Offices, Guidelines for Eligibility, Information, Publications
A Victorian Community Legal Centre that works solely on disability related legal issues.
- West Heidelberg Community Legal Service
Provides Victims of Crime Tribunal Assistance to the Banyule community.
- Darebin Community Legal Centre
Provides legal advice about crimes compensation to people who live, work or study in the Darebin region.
- Barwon Community Legal Service
Provides advice about general legal matters, welfare rights and family violence to people who live in the Barwon / Geelong region.
- Homeless Law
Homeless Law is a specialist legal service for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
- Federation of Community Legal Centres
Victorian Community Legal Centres and Concerns about the Law
- Community Legal Service that specialises in Disability Discrimination Legislation
- Victims of Crime
This is the official Victorian Government website for people affected by crime.
- Multiple and Complex Needs Panel
The Multiple and Complex Needs Panel (MACN Panel) is a statutory body established under the Human Services (Complex Needs) Act. The MACN Panel has the power to authorise referrals to specialist housing, health and social services.
- Legal Referral Service
The Law Institute Victoria’s legal referral service can help you locate a law firm suitable for your needs.
- Mental Health Tribunal
The Mental Health Tribunal is an essential safeguard under the Act to protect the rights and dignity of people with mental illness. The primary function of the Tribunal is to determine whether the criteria for compulsory mental health treatment as set out in the Mental Health Act 2014 apply to a person.
- Mental Health Branch
Includes Chief Psychiatrist's Guidelines and Program Management Circulars
- VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal)
Guardianship and Administration, mediation options
- Australian Human Rights Commission
Information about disaility rights
- Legal Services Commissioner
Useful publication on 'Working with your Lawyer'. Includes tips such as preparation for your first meeting, questions about the lawyers expertise, costs etc. The website is also the gateway for making a complaint about a Victorian lawyer.
Other Agencies' Publications about Law relevant to Mental Health
- Mental Health Act Handbook
This handbook is designed to help clinicians access the information they need to practice in accordance with the new Mental Health Act 2014, which is now the law governing compulsory mental health, assessment and treatment in Victoria..
- Disclosure and Job Seeker Privacy
JobAccess website produced by the Australian Government.
- Attorney-General's Department
Information about disability discrimination and human rights.
- Office of the Public Advocate
The Victorian Public Advocate is empowered by law to promote and safeguard the rights and interests of people with disability.
- Public Transport Ombudsman
The Office of the Public Transport Ombudsman deals with complaints regarding public transport in Victoria.
A plain English guide about legal issues around health and life changes. Includes information about Centrelink entitlements, health privacy, superannuation, insurance and wills.
- The Coroner’s Process: Information for Family and Friends
Publication produced by the State Coroner’s Office in Victoria.
- Family Relationships Online
Provides links to information about counselling and family dispute resolution services. Includes a Family Relationship Advice Line.
- Legal Words
The meanings of some common legal words and terms produced by Victoria Legal Aid.